iStock_000015099493_MediumOh, how pretty those holiday blooms can be! And, how inviting that cleverly placed mistletoe…. But, did you know that poinsettias aren’t the only holiday plant no-no? And that they are actually less toxic than some of the other, better-known offenders?

It’s true! And, while we as protective pet parents are often vigilant about other holiday dangers, like tinsel and curly string, pet poisoning is an unfortunate reality when it comes to plants with more dangerous toxicity.

Before you stow away every pretty bloom or branch, know that keeping your pet safe is as simple as doing your homework on toxic vs. non-toxic plants and making sure to keep the fearsome foliage out of your home or yard (or any other place your pet or other pets are present).

Toxic Seasonal Plants

While this list is by no means exhaustive, these are some of the most commonly purchased plants that can harm your pet. Another thing to note is toxicity levels and your pet’s risk. A day lily, for example, can create a lethal situation for your feline, while your canine would be relatively unaffected. To be on the safe side, avoid these plants entirely.

  • Lilies, including day, Easter, Tiger, Asiatic, and Japanese (the Liliaceae family is extremely toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure, if ingested)
  • Holly
  • Mistletoe
  • Amaryllis
  • Daffodils
  • Poinsettias (If you love the look of poinsettias or holly, consider a silk arrangement instead.)
  • To brighten up your holiday banquet this year, why not consider one or more of the many non-toxic plants options and create a new, pet-safe seasonal look.

    Pet Poisoning Symptoms

    Unfortunately, we aren’t always sure what our pet may have eaten or chewed on. If your pet displays any signs of poisoning, the safest thing to do is contact our clinic or emergency line right away.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Racing heart
  • Panting
  • Lethargy
  • Seizures
  • Collapse
  • Many serious situations are sometimes shrugged off as normal vomiting or diarrhea. Since time is of the essence when treating a pet who’s ingested a poisonous or toxic substance, it’s best for your pet’s chances of recovery to act quickly.

    If you have any questions about keeping your pet safe during holiday gatherings or meals, we are happy to provide you with the information needed to keep your pet safe this season and any time of year. And, don’t forget about our boarding and daycare options to keep your pet out of the chaos of those hectic holidays and vacation needs.