Basic Bird Care for Beginners
Thinking of welcoming a feathered friend into your home but not sure where to start? Look no further! When it comes to basic bird care, we avian admirers at Springbrook Animal Care Center are here to help.
Knowing if Birds are Your Bag
Before you commit to caring for any pet for its lifetime, it is important to know what you are getting into. Birds are beautiful and can be fabulous companions, but they are living creatures that require considerable effort to thrive.
If you are considering a bird as your pet of choice, keep in mind that:
- A bird’s lifespan varies by species, but some can be a commitment of 50 or more years.
- Birds have a wide array of noises they make, from pleasant song to jarring squawks that may make your home quite a bit louder.
- Tidiness is not in a bird’s vocabulary. They may fling food and tend to eliminate whenever (and wherever) nature calls.
- They have a need to chew and maintain their beak. That along with curious tendencies can lead to destructive behavior.
- Birds need stimulation and socialization on a daily basis.
- Space to move about and toys and objects to stimulate and engage are must-haves.
Basic Bird Care 101
Once you have made the decision that a bird is for you, it is time to step back and learn about basic bird care. Unlike other animals traditionally kept as pets, pet birds come from a wide variety of different species. Each and every bird species has its own particular needs and quirks.
Be sure to:
- Know what the ideal diet is for your bird.
- Offer fresh fruits and vegetables daily as appropriate for your bird’s species.
- Allow your bird access to sunlight daily to meet Vitamin D needs.
- Maintain good air quality in your home- birds are quite sensitive to irritants like smoke, air fresheners, candles, and Teflon cookware.
- Provide structured routine and attention.
- Give your bird safe toys to chew on and play with, and rotate toys weekly to avoid boredom.
Birds also require a veterinarian that is familiar with them and their unique needs. Lucky for you, you have us at your fingertips for everything you need when it comes to exotic pet care. We can help you to provide basic routine care such as beak and claw trims and fecal screenings. We can also help you to determine when your pet bird is sick and get to work making things better.
New bird owners need to understand what is involved in basic bird care. Please call us if you have questions about owning birds. They can make wonderful pets and when well-cared for they are a source of long term companionship for those who love them.
No Online Appointments
We are not accepting online appointments at this time.
News & Events
Time to Sign Up for Training Classes
Sign Up for Pet Records
Frontline Worker Boarding & Daycare Promotion
Hill's to Home Delivery
Don't want to leave the house for your pet's food? Now you don't have to. Use our Hill's to Home delivery service for free shipping with no minimum threshold.
Want your Hill's pet food delivered right to your door? Get 30% off your first autoship order and free shipping with Hill's to Home.