Pet Wellness: Preventive Care to Last the Whole Year
Have you ever wondered why we recommend regular pet wellness exams? While we love catching up with you and your pet, routine visits can be much more meaningful. The goal is to assess your pet’s wellness and current health, but we also keep an eye on the future, hoping to establish good habits for a longer, happier life.
More Than Meets the Eye
If your pet behaves in the same manner as his or her last wellness visit, you may wonder if a routine exam is necessary. Sure, we’ve all heard the old adage: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” However, there’s more to pet wellness than what we see on the surface.
When you commit to regular exams, you’re ensuring your pet will receive preventive screenings (such as heartworm testing) that support long-term health. To this end, we can diagnose and treat potential health problems before they progress. Often, conditions that result in costly or painful emergency care could have been dealt with swiftly during a routine exam.
The Big Picture
Routine wellness exams provide a clear picture of your pet’s health. Identifying anything irregular or unusual can give us (and your pet) a tremendous head start. The initial assessment will include a close examination of your pet’s eyes, ears, mouth, skin, coat, and abdomen. Depending on your pet’s health, we may progress toward the following:
- Dental care – The benefits of proactive dental care are far-reaching. Your pet’s heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys can be affected by poor oral hygiene. We recommend annual dental exams, professional cleaning under anesthesia (as necessary), and regular brushing at home.
- Nutrition – We will address any necessary issues related to your pet’s diet and help you develop a weight loss program to avoid obesity and associated health risks.
- Diagnostics – Blood work or digital radiographs may be ordered to determine what’s really going on. Our diagnostic testing can also reveal problems related to diabetes or heart disease, as well as other conditions not easily observed during a physical exam.
There are many facets to preventive pet care, including:
- Parasite prevention – Staying on top of fleas, ticks, heartworms, and intestinal parasites is a top priority during any pet wellness exam. Beyond screening, we can advise you on which parasite prevention products are ideal for your pet.
- Vaccinations – Need another reason to make pet wellness exams a regular habit? Many of the vaccines that protect against life-threatening diseases need to be boostered. We will always discuss your pet’s lifestyle and level of risk, and we will administer vaccines based on the possibility of exposure.
Pet Wellness for Every Age
Because your pet ages faster than you, wellness visits become more important as times goes by. He or she may also be an expert at hiding symptoms. However, routine screening and early detection can slow health problems or help eliminate them altogether.
Our team is happy to address your concerns and questions. We look forward to seeing you and your pet soon!